N.I.A.- Northern Interior Airsoft
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

N.I.A.- Northern Interior Airsoft

GO TO https://www.facebook.com/groups/158383917586946/ FOR CURRENT NIA UPDATES. THIS SITE IS NO LONGER ACTIVE

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Army of two (Gun shield)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Gryph
PG MEM
PG MEM
Gryph

Number of posts : 720
Location : Prince George, Cheif Lk. area (Pilot Mountain district)
Registration date : 2006-03-15

Player Info
Club Status: Member
Geo: Unspecified
Tags:

Army of two (Gun shield) Empty
PostSubject: Army of two (Gun shield)   Army of two (Gun shield) EmptySat 11 Oct 2008, 1:46 pm

I recently got Army of two and one of the things I love about it is your ability to customize your weapons. One of the modifications is a shield that mounts to your gun, picture a 1'X2' riot shield on the front of a gun. I'm just wondering what the rules on such a thing would be in airsoft. Would you treat it as part of the gun and take a gun hit if it gets hit, or use it like we used the riot shield in CQB. Note that it is much, much smaller then the riot shield we used in CQB. Also if you treated it like a gun hit, would we start getting specific about mounts on guns being hit or the gun it self, I'm thinking about under barrel m203's and the like.

I'm looking for peoples openions and hoping to get some discussion on possible rules around such things.
Back to top Go down
twsmith
CMob MEM
CMob MEM
twsmith

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2005-11-25

Player Info
Club Status: Member
Geo: Moberly Lake
Tags:

PostSubject: Re: Army of two (Gun shield)   Army of two (Gun shield) EmptySat 11 Oct 2008, 5:33 pm

A little too sci-fi for me personally. Gun shields are common on fixed emplacement and vehicle mounted weapons but I have yet to see a portable version which you can mount to your weapon and pack around. Even if it did work and would absorb the impact without tearing the gun apart, you likely wouldn't be able to hang onto the gun if it took a hit. The closest thing I've seen which allows the use of both hands would be the baker batshield which is strapped to your arm and used similarly to a ballistic shield while allowing you to aim over the top.

http://www.bakerbatshield.com/home.asp

Regardless, as I've stated before ballistic shields do not stop assault rifle or high-powered rifle bullets and I think packing a shield around is just retarded unless you're actually trying to use swat tactics in a CQB environment. If we wanted we could wear simulated full body armor, but does it make the game more fun? Personally I think it's just lame.
Back to top Go down
Aedomon
Quesnel MEM
Quesnel MEM
Aedomon

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2007-06-10

Player Info
Club Status: ---
Geo: West Side
Tags:

PostSubject: Re: Army of two (Gun shield)   Army of two (Gun shield) EmptySun 12 Oct 2008, 11:00 am

Riot shields I can see, and ballistic shields on mounted weapons, but like Wayne said; the impact of a round hitting a gun-mounted shield would be rather high. Interesting as they seem, I think it would be a little out of place in the field. CQB sure, not really any different than a riot shield there.
Back to top Go down
wookie_man
NIA New
NIA New
wookie_man

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2006-04-13

Player Info
Club Status: ---
Geo: Located in Hart
Tags: ---

PostSubject: Re: Army of two (Gun shield)   Army of two (Gun shield) EmptyFri 27 Mar 2009, 3:19 pm

I know this thread's a leetle old, but wat the hell

I would only recommend doing this to protect your fingers for game terms. Otherwise, yes, it's a little unrealistic. Real assault weapons would turn the wee-shield into a shrapnel concern. Ensure it doesn't block vital areas of the gun, make mock ups and try gun playing around corners and in prone. Think of the hand guards on old swords. Start in a large size, and shave down areas that are unnecessary. I would venture you use plywood and scroll saw the profile of the gun into it. After you've tested it and are happy with the shape, staple camo fabric or a fake leather over it.

Or just wear hockey gloves, :p
Back to top Go down
http://prod.noveis.net/index.php
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Army of two (Gun shield)   Army of two (Gun shield) Empty

Back to top Go down

Army of two (Gun shield)
Page 1 of 1