N.I.A.- Northern Interior Airsoft
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

N.I.A.- Northern Interior Airsoft

GO TO https://www.facebook.com/groups/158383917586946/ FOR CURRENT NIA UPDATES. THIS SITE IS NO LONGER ACTIVE

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Review of game in Mission, BC - John's report

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mikhail
Admin
Admin
Mikhail

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2008-08-05

Player Info
Club Status: ---
Geo: 100 Mile House AND Nova Scotia
Tags: ---

Review of game in Mission, BC - John's report Empty
PostSubject: Review of game in Mission, BC - John's report   Review of game in Mission, BC - John's report EmptyWed 24 Dec 2008, 2:17 am

Sometimes the words of others does a better job.

Here is a bit of a write up from my good friend John. We dragged him out even though he was suffering from a slipped disc cutting off use of his leg.
We stayed at his place while we were down in Mission. He's ex-military and a heck of a guy. He is the big guy in front of the picture

Mike.

John's Report on the 100 Mile House Militia Raid for Charity

Hey All,

I had the very great pleasure of being introduced to a new sport called Airsoft by our own Mikhail Heimdalson at the beginning of this December. Airsoft is similar to paintball, but uses the much cheaper and less damaging plastic .12-.25 calibre light plastic BB instead of the larger, heavier, and costly paintballs.

The event itself was a charity game raising money and toys for children, so we were not only having a good time, but furthering a good cause as well. Our hosts were both welcoming and reassuring, having a very professional attitude towards the safety of these toy weapons. In fact, the measures they took with the .12-.25 caliber 330fps plastic weapons would do well for the handling of the real weapons whose metal bullets are hundreds of times more massive, travelling many times as fast.

The first game was a warm up, two teams (based on camouflage patterns) were to hunt each other through the woods, the simulated airfield, and the town of working shoot-houses. It became clear that long time players had developed the teamwork and communication that reminded me of the battle drill of my own time in the Canadian Forces, and in fact I was far from the only ex-soldier on the field that day. As the day progressed, we moved through more complex scenarios forcing us to not just hunt each other, butdevelop and employ strategy in addition to the basic team tactics that quickly developed.

In the army, we called this “playing silly-bugger”. It was the most fun you can have with your clothes on, and the best training for real combat. Those soldiers who love the combat arms learned to love crawling through the muck for the chance to shoot a buddy on the opposition, or advancing with disciplined aggression, using bound/overwatch to suppress enemy positions and force your way into close combat, the cherished opportunity to seek out and destroy the enemy. For those with the warrior spirit, this is better than beer, almost as heady as lovemaking. In real life this training allows you to learn how to fight aggressively and not get
killed. Like in Airsoft, getting “killed” is how you learn.

The games work on the honour system, where you announce loudly when you have been hit, and display the red kill-rag to let others know you are dead, and not to be further shot. Most often the honour system seemed to be working, and it was largely self-limiting. If someone was shot once or twice and denied being hit, you simply “lit him up” or peppered him with high-speed pellets until he was not only ready to admit he was hit, but covered with lasting reminders of his foolishness.

On the Bigfoot battle range, our Militia contingent swelled the ranks of gamers to over forty, and right joyously joined the fray. Lest you think this is an activity that is limited to the fittest young men, our contingent included two of our lovely ladies, one of whom is about half way
done her pregnancy, and two men recovering from serious injuries (spine and ribs).

Mike's note: spine refers to john...ribs refers to Dieter...he is current military waiting to be cycled back in.

We played and played until the daylight faded. Laughing and boasting over our BBQ lunch, and then again over our Chinese food, we relived the experience of the day, battling to the death again and again, only to rise laughing to salute your foe.

Forever in the vanguard of any fray, the battle saw lots of Militia on Militia violence, with kills exchanged between all and a memorable battle that saw dozens of savage exchanges before the current solider proved himself just a bit faster than the warrior he replaced. It made the heart sing to see our own womenfolk Lisa and Chris racking up tallies of fallen foemen; with Chris proving that pregnancy does little to limit her shooting skills.

As our contingent was quite a sizable portion of the field, and all first timers to this club, as well as to the sport, it is interesting to note how we were received. I have to say that I was right proud of the conduct of our folk, and we were very well received by our hosts, and quite welcomed to join them in further events. In a sport that judges you by the honour with which you conduct yourself, the seriousness you take the safety of your fellows, and the joy you take in battle, we have truely made our mark.

This event was a wonderful way for friends to could come together and share some of the joys of the warrior’s path, not just the training of the soldier, but the joy and comradeship, the glory and honour that is the warriors lot. I would definitely like to see another such chance for our folk to share this experience.

John
2008-12-10

Mike's note: we are not militia...thats just what we refered to ourselves as during the game.
Back to top Go down
Mikhail
Admin
Admin
Mikhail

Player Info

PostSubject: 100 Mile House Militia Forces Picture   Review of game in Mission, BC - John's report EmptyWed 24 Dec 2008, 2:20 am

Back to top Go down
Mikhail
Admin
Admin
Mikhail

Player Info

PostSubject: Re: Review of game in Mission, BC - John's report   Review of game in Mission, BC - John's report EmptyWed 24 Dec 2008, 2:49 am

Christina and I had a blast.

We both received our mulitcam bdus in time for the game, and cruised the mil surplus stores in the area for extra bits... Chris picked up socks, long johns and a olive drap equipment strap...I found a hsgi multicam baseball hat, which I accessorized with a 'front towards' enemy badge, and the suspenders and belt for the start of a lbv setup. oh...a some good ankle support hikers.

I think the ak box mag scares them....the other accessories on board probaly didnt help...methinks they have had some rambos in the past (Vancouver? naaaa)

In the end one of the guys who shadowed me for a bit (just making sure of the 'over equiped new guy' ) compliments me on my feathering of shots.
Didnt get a chance ta say, 'That wasnt me...thats the fire computer giving me 5 round burst." but I understood what he was getting at. Wilco, and out.
We missed the ice storm due to leaving early on friday...and apon our return have worked like mad people fixing stuff...sorry I have been distracted...its JUST starting to slow a bit now...heading up another mountain in the morning.

I gotta say one thing....all my friends that came out made me proud. John impressed everyone by belly crawling up a stream to avoid sentrys and get into a nice position.....this from a guy who had to use a damn cane for most of the game.

In the end...one of organizers goes...this Guy right here! I want his picture...(points at John) so I can show it to anyone who whines about coming out if it is raining. John confided to me that even though he was chilled and soaked crawling up the stream...with the btus being produced, he was dry in minutes.

Dieter munched his already fractured ribs so was being held up for the shot....but when ours got hurt we were able to provide our own emt support staff, and supplies.

In researching more about on body medical supplies I have been thinking of some rule bonuses for people who pack their own supplies when hit...but thats another post

All in all it was a great game, a great cause, and hosted by great folks all around.

Mikhail
Back to top Go down
Mikhail
Admin
Admin
Mikhail

Player Info

PostSubject: Chris's report   Review of game in Mission, BC - John's report EmptyWed 24 Dec 2008, 3:14 am

Posted on behalf of my better half Chris:

Hi all!

Wow, Sunday's game was pretty darned awesome! Eleven of us turned out, all told: Mike and I of course, with John , Lisa and John S, Dieter, Daniel, Sam, and Teunis,Erik and Kyle.

There was a slight drizzle as we headed out; frankly, in all my camo gear etc I barely even noticed it, especially with all the trees. It did develop briefly into a rather dramatic cloudburst though, complete with thunder and lightning.

The teams were split up according to type of camo, so we weren't all on the same team, which was kind of helpful, as I had a helluva time remembering, for example, if flectarn was our side or the other guys
(any type other than the kind I was wearing gave me problems, heh, because there was so many different kinds I just lost track after Woodland = Other Team), but it was easier to remember that Mike, Teunis, and Dieter were on my side, and John M was not. XD My first death was due to him (and my third; shot me in the back as I was trying to spot someone out a window when he came in the door behind me. The little single-shot pistol I was down to at that point didn't help me at all; okay, he had already got me, but I still tried as it was so lame to get caught so unawares. Finally resorted to simply saying, "Bang! Just pretend I'm shooting at you." XD). Got him myself later, though, from a sniper tower, as he exposed himself while taking out Mike in a Capture-the-Flag game.

All in all we had a helluva lot of fun. Dieter with his recently broken ribs, John with his bulged disk (and cane), and I, being five months pregnant, were calling ourselves The Three Gimps at the end group photo. And the host was very impressed by us (and John especially, I think); he said that he particularly wanted a picture of him so the next time someone whined about not coming out if it was raining, he'd show him a picture of John, lol.

Dinner at the Chinese restaurant after was good; good food, at about $12 each, complete with leftovers.

We took over two tables (especially after John's wife Christine joined us with all the kids), and a good time was had by all.

All in all, I think this was a really fun time, a good opportunity for us to socialize (because when is shooting your friends in the mud not a social activity? lol), a chance to visit and discuss a few topics, and, thanks to Dieter and John's combat skills, a real opportunity, I think, to get some info on and practise of small group tactics. Last I heard, potential regular meetings on that and similar topics were being discussed.

So kudos to everyone who came out! I'd really like it if you could all post a few words yourself about your experiences; I purposely didn't post the Wall o' Text I was tempted to write up so as to leave you room to manoeuvre. Don't make me have to go back and write it up anyways. ;-) Besides, I'd really like to get everyone's perspectives on it: Most of us had never played Airsoft before; John and Lisa are into Paintball; she said it was quite a different experience, and John M., "The Terminator," of course, while being new to the sport, had actual combat experience to compare it to (as does Dieter).

And to those who couldn't be there: we missed you (figuratively as well as literally, lol)! Hopefully you can come out to another game someday, or at least to the dinner afterwards. It was a helluva time!

take care,
-Chris

PS: Dieter, I think you've still got Mike's toque! Can you get it to Teunis? He's coming up next week.

Thanks! -C
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review of game in Mission, BC - John's report   Review of game in Mission, BC - John's report Empty

Back to top Go down

Review of game in Mission, BC - John's report
Page 1 of 1